What to do in a language exchange ?
Imagine this is your first time in a Language Exchange Event, and you probably do not want to keep eyeballing your talking partners the entire time without saying a word, and moreover, if you are assigned to an extremely attractive person, I bet you would love to have a lovely chat or become good friends afterwards.
Keep in mind these IMPORTANT points
- Make sure to keep a good smile on your face.
- Remember to laugh or make good reactions.
- Be confident, but not arrogant.
Once you are good with those above, then let’s start to break the ice !
In order to avoid awkward silence during your chat session, it is better to go prepared !
So I have collected a few good topics that might be useful at any language exchange situation.
- What languages do you speak?
- What language(s) do people speak in your country?
- What language(s) are you learning? Why?
- What do you do to learn a language?
- What’s hardest when learning a language?
- What are your best tips for someone learning a language?
- Are there any other languages that you’d like to learn?
- What do you think is the most beautiful language?
- Where do you work?
- What do you do?
- Describe a typical day.
- What’s the best thing about your job?
- What’s the worst thing about your job?
- How did you become qualified for your job?
- Describe your very first job.
- If you had to change jobs, what would you do?
- What’s your dream job?
- Describe the best / worst job you’ve ever had.
- Have you ever made a big mistake at work?
- Describe your family members. (even better with photos!)
- Do you have any children?
- Would you like to have children?
- How are things different today than they were when you were a child?
- Do you prefer big families or small families?
- How often do you see your extended family?
- Do you get along well with your parents / siblings?
- What’s your best childhood memory?
4. What’s your favourite…
- …tv show?
- The possibilities here are endless! Use your imagination.
- Is it common to have pets in your country?
- Do you have any pets?
- If you don’t, would you like to?
- Did you have any pets as a child?
- What’s your favorite animal?
- What kind of wild animals are there in your country?
- How do you feel about zoos?
- If you could choose to be an animal, which one would you like to be?
- Do you think that animals have emotions?
6. Would you rather…
- …live in the country or live in the city?
- …be very rich or very good-looking?
- …be able to visit the past or the future?
- …have a boring job that pays more or an interesting job that pays less?
- …give up your internet connection or your car?
- …be too cold or be too hot?
- …be abducted by aliens or chased by zombies?
- …have a year off with pay or work for a year for double pay?
- Use your imagination to come up with interesting or silly questions!
- What’s your favorite food?
- Is there anything that you can’t stand to eat?
- Do you like to cook?
- If you were preparing a special meal for someone, what would it be?
- Do you prefer to eat out or at home?
- Where do you buy food?
- If you had to choose a national food, what would it be?
- Do you have a garden?
- What was your favorite meal as a child?
8. Talents and Hobbies
- Do you:
- …play any sports?
- …play any musical instruments?
- …draw or paint?
- What are you good at?
- What are you trying to get better at?
- What would you like to learn how to do?
- What did you like to do when you were a child?
- If you could be really good at anything, what would you choose?
- Is there anything that you’re really bad at?
9. What would you do if you could…
- …do whatever you wanted for an entire year?
- …live anywhere in the world?
- …plan the perfect day?
- …eat only one food for the rest of your life?
- …go on a vacation anywhere in the world?
- …have a superpower?
- …live in another time period?
- …win the lottery?
- …meet anyone, living or dead?
- …be invisible for a day?
- Use your imagination to come up with interesting questions!
- What was your best / worst travel experience?
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- Is there a place that you wouldn’t want to visit?
- Have you ever lived in another country?
- Do you like all-inclusive vacations?
- Would you rather travel independently or on a tour?
- Would you rather visit a city or a wild area?
- What do tourists come to your country to see?
- Have you ever travelled all by yourself?
There are of course tons of topics more, but if you need some suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Make your life colorful by having different types of friends in your daily life.